Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Why are there so many black cats at the shelter?

I'm not trying to come across as superstitious, because I'm not. I was visiting the shelter today in search of a potential companion kitty for my 7 month old female, and I was intrigued by how greatly black cats outnumbered any other color pattern. Is there anything aside from silly superstitions that make them undesirable? I'm very attempted to pick a black one simply because everyone else seems to gravitate toward the other colors. There are definitely enough black ones with a variety of personalities to choose from.|||Black is very common. There are something like 4 black cats born for every other cat color there is. I don't remember where I saw the statistic, and I might have a brain fart, but it's a high percentage of black to "non-black" cats.|||I have definitely noticed this pattern as well. In fact, shelters often do special promotions to get people to pay more attention to the black kitties.





The person who said people are racist as a joke may actually not be far from the truth. The connotations of the word black are not that great. The word "black" is associated with dirty and gloomy and scary. Since these are not the qualities people want in their cute kitties, they are often prejudiced against black cats simply because of their fur color. Unfortunately black dogs also suffer the same discrimination.





You may very well be saving a life by adopting a black cat that could get put down if no one seems to want it. I too have made the determination that the next cat I adopt will be black.|||people are superstitous, and becuz black cats are the most common color, next to white, that a cat can have.........even if the mother and father were completely diffrent colors





black cats are gentle and cuddly and friendly......ive had a bunch of black kitties, either pure black or black with a bit of white


black cats are really nice, as long as they havent been abused, and if you get a kitten and raise it they are cuddly and easygoing when older.......





just dont get a male cat becuz they spray all over everything


and they will try and mate with your female cat when mating season comes


then you will have a bunch of black cats that will end up in the shelter!!!!!!!!


(if you do get a male get a kitten and be sure to neuter him beforre the age of sexual maturity or he will start spraying/scent marking and he will never stop!!!!!!!)|||I have 3 cats and one is all black with the most gorgeous green eyes. Really can't understand why people would not want a black cat. Mine is so sweet and lovable. Just today our pool man noticed him for the first time and was really drawn to his eyes and commented that he never met an animal that had prettier eyes than his dog's (an Akita/Husky mix). Our black cat is one of 2 cats we adpoted from a litter and he is the first one I chose.|||As a long-time shelter volunteer I know black cats, black dogs, and black bunnies are always the last to find homes.





You are right about the "variety of personalities" - each animal is an individual.





I remember being flabbergasted when a potential adoptor said, "I am looking for an older, black, long-haired cat"|||I think some of it might be superstition, but I also think it's because black is a dominant gene. If a stray black cat mated with a stray white cat, the chances are the kittens would come out black; and then those kittens would end up in the shelter because they are stray. Thats just what I think, though|||Never noticed that, but interesting nonetheless. I guess that black cats appear "boring" and a colorful cat (in comparison) looks more fun or lively. I think it's a prejudice thing too... I feel a black cat is more likely to hide under the bed and swat, swat, swat at my feet as I go by.





Kudos on choosing the best black cat if you do - the best selection is there!|||aside from superstitions all the black cat has to go on is personality. Most people choose an animal for the color of the coat or condition of the fur, i.e. long or short haired. Black fur and green eyes can get old. Finding a cat that chooses you is more important whether it is black or not. I have two black cat brothers and I can tell them apart by how they hold their tails and they are the best cats.|||1.) Superstition.


2.) Common coat color.


3.) Less interesting look for most than, say, a tabby.


4.) Negative image. What do "evil cats" look like? Black.





Go for it girl! You'll save a life, and if you pick by personality, I'm sure that your new addition will be great addition to your home, no matter its color.|||Our shelters do not seem to have a lot of black cats compared to other colors. I happen to love a tuxedo cat myself. My daughter has an all black cat that is a jewel. Choose a cat for its personality, and if it purrs when you hold it..color is immaterial.|||Ive heard that it's because since their faces are so dark, people do not connect with them nor think they are the cutest out of all the choices. But they are also full of personality and love to be loved! I agree with you on adopting one =)|||Black cats can be great. Unfortunately so many people are superstitious and the dark cats don't get adopted as fast.





At our shelter it's mostly striped tabby cats that are in the cages. It may be regional.|||Casual Answer: Because they bring bad luck


Serious Answer: Because they are more the more common color. Breed to cats and you are bound to have 1 or more black cats.|||I think today's witches stop keeping black cats as little helpers ha ha either that or there aren't as many witches left out there.|||Black cats don't photograph well, and their features are not as readily noticeable from a distance. So they get less interest at first glance and from online sites like Petfinder. But black cats can be wonderful--I know, I have one!|||People are racist... lol

No comments:

Post a Comment